Wednesday 4 December 2013

12 Days of Christmas: Presents for Bookworms

I know that the actual 12 days of Christmas doesn't start until Christmas Day, but it wouldn't be very helpful to suggest bookish Christmas presents after Christmas. So I'm going to do a present-recommendation thing, one a day for 12 days between now and Christmas.

Day 1: 

The most obvious: a Christmas-y book. I'd suggest something like Dash And Lily's Book Of Dares by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan for teenagers or YA readers. Or Let It Snow by John Green, Maureen Johnson and Lauren Myracle, which I haven't actually read yet but I'm sure will be great. For anyone who likes more classic-y stuff, go for The Catcher In The Rye. Not strictly Christmas-y, but based around the holidays.




 Or, if you can't find a suitably Christmas-y book, just go for something good, or something that they'll like. So far I've bought Angelmaker, The Book Thief and Code Name Verity as presents for various people in my family. Go for genres they normally read, or something slightly different but still familiar. These are some more books I think would make good Christmas presents, which don't actually involve Christmas stuff.

 Because we all need a little Harry Potter in our lives now and then. Although it might be hard to find someone who hasn't read them yet. If you do, please enlighten them for me.



  For any teenager, or anyone who even remotely likes emotions: John Green's books. And if they've read those, try Stephen Chbosky or Daniel Handler or David Levithan. Jandy Nelson, Matthew Quick and Stephanie Perkins are also amazing.  

 For adults, try Angelmaker. There's a full review below. 


 And for anyone who loves classics, I'd recommend something by the Bronte sisters or Charles Dickens. Not Jane Austen, please. That failing, try Gone With The Wind, To Kill A Mockingbird, or something along those lines.

No comments:

Post a Comment