Wednesday 27 November 2013

Ten Books I'd Recommend to John Green Fans

John Green is my favorite author, and I tend to read a lot of books in the same sort of style, so I thought of doing this post. There were others I wanted to put in, like Hate List and Someone Else's Life, but I thought the ones below were more appropriate. Are there any others you think I should have put in? Hope you enjoy it!

 The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
Narrated by Death, this is the story of the adopted Liesel Meminger, her family and friends. Living in Germany during World War Two, it shows the point of view of the commonplace people, and the things they did to survive. This will break your heart.





 
Dash and Lily's Book of Dares/ Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist by Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
These books are both set in New York, told from two points of view, and are both amazing. Dash and Lily is based during Christmas; Lily leaves a notebook in her favorite book shop with a list of dares inside. Dash picks it up, and so begins their massive game of Dares, sending each other all over the city. Nick and Norah is about two music junkies thrown together by chance, who spend the night together trying to figure out their lives and each other. (I'm counting these as one, because they're by the same authors. Kinda cheating but I couldn't just put one in.)




Graffiti Moon by Cath Crowley
This book is so gorgeous. I did a full review a few weeks ago, if you want more information. Based in Australia, it tells the story of Lucy and Ed throughout one night. It's the end of the school year and Lucy is determined to find Shadow- the mysterious graffiti artist whose work is all over the city. She enlists Ed to help her find him. The prose is beautifully poetic and the story is interesting. 




The Sky Is Everywhere by Jandy Nelson
With writing as poetic as Graffiti Moon and as emotional as The Fault In Our Stars, you will fall in love with this book. A guarantee, or your money back. Lennie is simultaneously grieving the death of her sister, falling in love, and trying not to fall for her sister's boyfriend. I went through a phase of rereading this constantly. One of my four favorite books.


If I Stay by Gayle Forman
Mia is the one classical musician in a family of rockers. Even her boyfriend, Adam, is in a band. I won't say much, because I don't want to give away more than is in the blurb, but I will say that, one day, Mia finds herself with only one choice left. And it is the most difficult choice of all. 
The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick
Having been discharged from a mental hospital, Pat Peoples tries to rebuild his life. His one aim is to get back together with his estranged wife. And then he meets Tiffany, the equally damaged sister of his friend's wife. Very well written, very emotional and very good.



 Where Things Come Back by John Corey Whaley
Although it took me a while to get into this one, by halfway through I was hooked. Cullen Witter's younger brother goes missing at the same time as a supposedly extinct species of woodpecker is spotted in his town. The writing isn't as poetically brilliant as Graffiti Moon or The Sky Is Everywhere, but it is different. And hell, John Corey Whaley knows how to end a book.



Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler
One of my favorite books ever, mainly because of the writing. The book is Min's letter to her ex-boyfriend Ed, documenting their relationship and giving all his things back to him. One of my favorite lines from it is; "I never told you how beautiful it was then, like everyone was telling us not to be". There is no way I could ever write a decent review of this book, but you should definitely read it, whether you like John Green or not.



The Perks of Being A Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky
I saw the film before I read this, and I wish I hadn't. The book is so much better. To me, if you think of two writers who go together really well, and write in kind of the same way about kind of the same things, it is John Green and Stephen Chbosky. I don't think he's written anything else, but this is amazing. After the suicide of his best friend, Charlie finds himself making friends with his English teacher, a senior called Patrick, and his stepsister Sam.
Black Heart Blue by Louisa Reid
Twin sisters Rebecca and Hephzibah always had each other to rely on, having spent their whole lives under the control of their preacher father. Now Hephzibah- the confident, popular one- is dead, and Rebecca has to live without her. I have never read anything like this, and nothing I say will be able to sum it up, but it is amazing.





















No comments:

Post a Comment