Saturday 19 October 2013

Review: Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan



Blurb: Percy Jackson used to be just a normal kid, going to school, playing basketball, skateboarding. The usual. Until he accidentally vaporized his maths teacher. Now, he spends his time battling monsters and generally trying to stay alive. Zeus, God of the Sky, thinks Percy has stolen his lightning bolt- and making Zeus angry is a very bad idea.

What I thought: Don't judge a book by its cover. Literally. The cover of this book makes it look like a badly-written, predictable sci-fi story for ten year old boys. It really put me off. I should be less judgmental. (But seriously. His skin is purple. PURPLE).
Although it did take me a while to really get into it, this book was really good. It wasn't like some books you get at the beginning of a series, where they spend the whole time just setting up the world in preparation for the second book. There was a really good pace, and not too many fight scenes, which I liked. The characters were good, but not particularly amazing, as was the writing. I'm using the word good a lot, because really it's the only word for it. Not spectacular, not terrible.
The "good" thing does not, however, apply to the book in general. Because, in general, it was amazing. Maybe not quite amazing. But enough to make me want to buy all the other books in this series. It was funny, clever, and exciting. The setting was awesome (I want to go to Half- Blood Camp!) and the characters were interesting, especially Mr D, Annabeth and Percy. I REALLY loved Annabeth. And although the whole Percy- Annabeth- Grover thing kind of mirrored the Harry- Ron- Hermione thing, it did work.
Although I didn't get as into this as I have into books like it (Harry Potter, The Hunger Games, etc.) I did love it. And yes, I will read the others. Just as soon as I get round to it.

Rate: 8/10

No comments:

Post a Comment