Saturday 10 August 2013

Review: The Theory of Everything by Kari Luna


Genre: Sci-fi, romance

Series: No

Published: Philomel, July 11th 2013

Other books by this author: None



Blurb: Sophie Sophia is obsessed with music from the late eighties. She also has an eccentric physicist father who sometimes vanishes for days and sees things other people don't. But when he disappears for good, and Sophie's mum moves them from Brooklyn, New York to Havencrest, Illinois, things take a turn for the weird. Sophie starts seeing things, like marching pandas, just like her dad. Guided by Walt, her shaman panda, and her new (human) friend named Finny, Sophie is determined to find her father and figure out her visions, once and for all. So she travels back to where it began- New York City and NYU's physics department. As she discovers more about her dad's research on string theory and her father himself, Sophie opens her eyes to the world's infinite possibilities- and to love.

What I thought: I bought this book after reading a review of it on The Perpetual Page- Turner, and it did not disappoint. From the blurb and the review, it sounded quirky, different and funny- it's not every day you get to read about marching band pandas and alternate universes. It was all of those things, but there was also a more emotional, heart- wrenching side to it. As Sophie learns more about her dad, she starts to heal, and move on from the past. She learns to love again.
The characters in this book, especially Sophie and Finny, were incredibly real, and very believable. They had depth. I liked that Sophie was only 14, because from the blurb and review I assumed she would be 16 or 17, and it was nice to have a heroine my own age for once. I loved her clothes, her music, and the way she thinks. She seemed so responsible for her age, but at the same time you could tell that she was really hurting.
I want Finny to be my best friend, he was so awesome. Drew was cool too, although everything with him and Sophie seemed kind of too fast and unreal- they never really talked or got to know each other. His character was probably my least favorite, which is rare for me. I'm usually a sucker for romance, but this seemed quite superficial and flimsy.
I loved the music theme. It was something that added a bit of lightness and fun to the parts where you just want to give Sophie a massive hug and force feed her chocolates until everything's okay again. Her sense of style was so cool, and who wouldn't want a shaman panda? I'm not sure why pandas, but they are pretty awesome. Also, how cool is that cover? I would buy the book just because of that. I did actually buy a pair of Sophie- esque (is that how you spell it?) stripey tights the other day.
I think definitely, definitely, you need to read this book. Doesn't really matter what kind of thing you like, I've never read anything like this before. Has there been anything like this ever? Part science-y, part romance/ friendship, and part pure imagination.

If you liked: Artichoke Hearts, Rain, Forgotten, This Lullaby, The Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants

Rating: 9/10

(Also, I found this really awesome poster on the internet, so here it is.)


No comments:

Post a Comment