Wednesday 14 August 2013

Review: The Host by Stephanie Meyer



Genre: Sci-fi, fantasy, romance, war

Series: Stephanie Meyer has confirmed there will be two sequels

Published: Little Brown and Company, May 6th 2008

Other books by this author: The Twilight Saga



Blurb: Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The Earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find it's former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind. As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

What I thought: I just could not get into this book. I always wanted to read it before watching the film, but then I was in a rush at the library when I was deciding what film to rent, and The Host was the first thing I saw. So, I watched the film first. This probably contributed to me not liking the book- I wasn't surprised by anything because I already knew the story, but because the book is so much more detailed it just felt drawn out and boring. The story is good, the idea is interesting and different, but I didn't even get a quarter of the way through the book. I know I probably shouldn't review a book I didn't finish, but I'm in a bad mood and I need to do something. I know. Not a good reason. Whatever.
I did skip to the end (I know, I'm terrible), and that was slightly more interesting. I didn't like the film very much, but it did make me want to read the book. The book was disappointing, and I didn't think it was written as well as The Twilight Saga. I definitely prefer Twilight to The Host, even with all the stereotypes and teenage hype that surround those books now. It's not often I give up on a book.

Rate: 4/10

No comments:

Post a Comment